10 Tips For Moving Washing Machines
Whether moving to a new home or simply relocating your washing machine, it’s important to handle it carefully to prevent damage and ensure proper functioning. Moving a washing machine can be daunting, but with the proper preparation and tools, it can be done safely and efficiently. In this article, we’ll cover 10 tips for moving a washing machine to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
1. Disconnect the Washer: Before moving the washing machine, disconnect the power cord and water supply hose from the wall or floor. If your washer has a drainage hose, detach it as well. Once everything is disconnected, give your washer a good cleaning to remove dust and debris.
2. Prep the Moving Space: Clear a path between your current and new location before you begin moving the washing machine. This will help ensure no obstacles when it comes to transport, reducing potential damage or injury risks.
3. Remove Small Parts: If your washer has any removable parts, remove them before you move them. This includes lint traps, agitator fins, and drain hoses. These components can easily be damaged during transport, so removing them beforehand will ensure they stay intact throughout the process.
4. Cover the Washer: Use a tarp or sheet of cardboard to cover up the washing machine before moving it. This will help protect it from getting scratched or dented and reduce the risk of liquids leaking onto other items during transport.
5. Lift With Care: Ensure everyone on your team wears appropriate safety gear before lifting and moving the washer. Avoid using bending and twisting movements when lifting, as these can put unnecessary strain on your back and could cause injury.
6. Secure the Washer: Once you’ve lifted the washer, use straps or rope to secure it in place so it won’t move around during transport. This will help keep the washer stable while moving, reducing the risk of injury or damage to the machine.
7. Use a Moving Dolly: If you don’t have one, invest in a moving dolly to transport heavy appliances. This will make it much easier to move your washer and reduce potential strain on your body.
8. Use Appropriate Transportation: If you’re transporting the washing machine in a car or truck, secure it properly so it won’t shift or fall during transit. You may also want to consider further using furniture pads and blankets to protect your washer.
9. Inspect for Damage: After you’ve moved your washer, inspect it for any damage. If everything looks good, you can reconnect the power and water lines. However, if there are any signs of damage, contact a professional to assess the situation and provide solutions.
10. Hire Professionals: Moving a washing machine is a challenging task. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or don’t have the proper equipment, hiring professionals to take care of the job is best. This will help ensure your washer is moved safely and efficiently.
Is Doing It Yourself or Hiring a Professional?
When deciding whether to make a move or hire professionals, think about your skill set. If you are confident in your ability to transport a washing machine safely, then by all means, handle it on your own—make sure you have the right supplies and workforce to get the job done correctly. When lifting heavy objects like a washing machine, always use the buddy system and enlist help from a friend (or two). If in doubt, however, it’s best to hire a professional moving service, as they are highly trained on how to move large and delicate appliances like washing machines. They know what supplies to use and how to secure the appliance properly in their truck, and they will even come with insurance to protect your property in an accident.
Also, remember that most professional moving services will offer a washing machine removal service for an additional fee. It may be worth it if you want to avoid dealing with such a large and unwieldy object yourself. This can save both time and energy on your part, so it’s worth considering when making your decision.
Regardless of your route, be sure to factor in the cost of hiring a professional mover and any additional fees for transporting the washing machine. This can add up quickly if you need more preparation! So always research and ensure you stay on top of all costs associated with the move. You won’t experience any unanticipated expenses that way.
Contact Us Today!
Hire Royal Sydney Removals for all your moving needs! We have years of experience in handling residential and commercial moves, as well as washing machine removals. Our team has the training and expertise required to move large appliances like these safely and efficiently.
Contact us today for more information or a free quote on your next removal job! We look forward to serving you.